Friday, April 27, 2007

Debian Etch (4.0) on Pentium III

I just installed Debian Etch on my research project's machine which have specs as follows:

  • Pentium III (Coppermine)
  • 128 RAM (suppose)

As I didn't play around with Debian (instead with its variant-Ubuntu on my laptop), several steps I did forgot:

  • Howto configure X
  • Howto choose nearest apt-get mirror

Anyway, for the X issue, my machine is currently using SiS video card. By default Etch unable to adapt with the settings so I opt to use VESA as the video config choice.

Another thing that I faced was the problem with "xlockmore" package which I usually use to let my machine locked while unattended. So I went to package section at Debian's website and downloaded it manually.

1 comment:

Irwan said...

Pentium III with 128MB RAM???
Duhhh, terasa hidup/berada pada tahun 2000, haha.

Advertisement:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 rocks!